July 11 - Romans 5:12

 


Paul’s Epistle to the Romans

July 11, 2021

Opening Prayer

Psalm 119  

153 Look on my affliction and deliver me,
    for I do not forget your law.
154 Plead my cause and redeem me;
    give me life according to your promise!
155 Salvation is far from the wicked,
    for they do not seek your statutes.
156 Great is your mercy, O Lord;
    give me life according to your rules.
157 Many are my persecutors and my adversaries,
    but I do not swerve from your testimonies.
158 I look at the faithless with disgust,
    because they do not keep your commands.
159 Consider how I love your precepts!
    Give me life according to your steadfast love.
160 The sum of your word is truth,
    and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.

Prolegomena

A key concept/theological term for our conversation today: Vicarious Atonement – salvation through a representative in whom we participate.

Romans 5:12-14

12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— 13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.

v. 12-13

Through one “man” – there are two words in Greek that traditionally get translated as “man”.

-        Anthropos – a man, specifically, a male human being or, generically, a person, human being – the root word of anthropology – the study of humanity.

-        Anair – exclusively, a male human being.

This passage is focused on humanity and not merely on Jesus’ maleness.

-        Note: it is not that Jesus’ being male does not matter. But his maleness is part of his humanity.

Who does this text blame for the fall into sin?

Why?

-        Genesis 2:17 – “You must not eat from the tree …”

-        Genesis 2:18 – “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”

o   Helper, in Hebrew, is ezer – almost exclusively used of God in the Scriptures. The English does not capture the full significance.

-        Genesis 3:1 – [The serpent] said to the woman, “Did God actually say …”

-        Genesis 3:6 - … and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.”

 

Sin entered the world through one man’s action.

 

Death entered the world through sin.

-        A Unitarian funeral


Comments