November 28 - Romans 7:14-15

 

Paul’s Epistle to the Romans

November 28, 2021

Opening Prayer

O Lord Jesus Christ, King of glory, King of kings and Lord of lords, the Son of the living God and Son of David, come. Come now to Your Church that You have purchased with Your blood. Come with Your gracious presence, that we may rejoice in You. Come and rule over us, that we may serve and follow You. Come with Your love, humility, and perfect obedience, and let Your lowliness become our glory. Come into the midst of Your people and bless us, for we are Your heritage. Forgive us our sin, and do not angrily cast away Your servants, for You are meek and gracious. Clothe us with the garment of Your righteousness, for You are the only righteous one and our helper. Satisfy us with the abundance of Your mercy, for You did become poor for our sakes, that by Your poverty we might be made rich. Hear us, Lord Jesus, for the sake of You holy name. Amen.[1]

Romans 7:13-14

13 Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.

v. 13

… that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment [sin] might become sinful beyond measure.

·       Luke 19:10 – at the end of Jesus’ encounter with Zacchaeus, He said, “For the Son of Man came to seek and save the lost.”

·       Luke 5:31-32 – after Jesus called Levi/Matthew - 29 And Levi made him a great feast in his house, and there was a large company of tax collectors and others reclining at table with them. 30 And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

Luther Quotes

·       “If you see yourself as a ‘little sinner’ you will inevitably see Jesus as a ‘little savior.’”

·       “God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong, but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world.” – A Letter to Melanchthon.

How should we view sin?

How might our view of sin affect our confession? How might it affect our reception of absolution?

How might our attitude about sin affect our witness to our neighbors?

v. 14

The Law is spiritual, I am of the flesh, sold under sin.

·       We are body and soul.

·       Paul speaks of the body – the flesh – as sinful

o   This word can mean

§  A physical body

§  Humanity

§  Our sinful nature

§  The order and logic of the world in rebellion against God.

·       He speaks of things spiritual as holy and Godly

·       Is he saying that we should view our bodies as evil and souls as good?

·       It is a comparison of the tangible to the intangible.

·       We will be body and soul in the New Creation.

o   Not angels – a different order within creation.

o   Disembodied only for a time.

Romans 7:15-20

15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

v. 15

I do not understand …

-        What is Paul’s confusion?

 

I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.

-        What is our motivation for the wanting and hating Paul is talking about here?

-        How does this relate to the First Commandment?

-        How does it relate to Jesus’ salvation?

-        How does it relate to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?

-        Do we hate the things we do – that is, our sin?

-        Proverbs 26:11 - Like a dog that returns to his vomit is a fool who repeats his folly.



[1] Lutheran Prayer Book, Revised Edition, CPH, 2005 – a prayer for Advent.

Comments