The Resurrection of the Body

 

This Sunday, November 13, is the Twenty-third Sunday after Pentecost.

This week’s sermon is Your Redemption is Near!

This week’s readings are:

Malachi 4:1-6

2 Thessalonians 3:6-13

Luke 21:5-28

Psalm 98

Message: The Resurrection of the Body

I received an email with a question concerning death, the body and the spirit.

There are some big questions here! Today the Resurrection of the Body and next week The Life Everlasting

The question of what happens after we die is not a new one – even among believers.

-        Acts 22 & 23 – “I am being judged because of the hope of the resurrection of the dead.”

Stumbling block for many.

-        Acts 17:32 – Paul in Athens.

Job 19:26-27 – But I know that my Redeemer lives,
and at the end he will stand on the dust.
26 Even after my skin has been destroyed,
yet I will see God in my flesh.
27 I will see him myself;
my eyes will look at him, and not as a stranger.
My heart longs within me.

Dan 12:2 – Many who sleep in the dust
of the earth will awake,
some to eternal life,
and some to disgrace and eternal contempt.

John 5:21 - And just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so the Son also gives life to whom he wants.

1 Corinthians 15

The idea that the Bible presents is that our bodies are not coat or a vessel for our souls to excel beyond. They are essential to who we are.

In baptism we are baptized into Christ’s death – and into his resurrection.

Our bodies still receive the just reward for our sin – that is to say, our bodies – and, therefore, we ourselves – die.

The full gift is not yet given – even if we rest in glory with Jesus – even if we were content with such a spirit-life. God’s gift is to save us fully – soul and body.

He restores His creation – and us as creatures – perfectly.

Comments