April 16 - Some Politics and Romans 10:16-18



Opening Prayer

Prolegomena

March 26 – I dropped the ball. A hard topic was raised and I did not feel that I could bring the conversation to a satisfactory place, so I moved on and avoided it.

-        It is hard to upset people, but my failure to respond (I fear) did exactly that.

A few words about politics.


I am trying to view everything through the lens of being part of the Kingdom of God.

-     Compassion for the broken.

-        Grace for the sinner (including me).

-        Commitment to God’s Ways

o   Seeing God as Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier

§  God’s design, Law and Truth

§  God’s mercy, salvation, and forgiveness

§  God’s power to convert and transform

o   Truth

o   Mercy & Justice – hand in hand

o   Repentance

 

This makes my political views rather muddy – and uncomfortable – especially in areas of:

-        Justice for people in all ethnic groups. (I resist the word “race.” We are all human.)

-        Care for the poor and the least of these.

-        Protection of human life from the womb to the tomb.

-        Human sexuality and marriage.

-        The role of the church vis-à-vis the state – and political power.  

Lastly, I would note that I fall woefully short of my ideals.

-   

Last Week

What was valuable, or what stuck with you from last week?  

Romans 10:16-21

 But not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, Lord, who has believed our message? 17 So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the message about Christ. 18 But I ask, “Did they not hear?” Yes, they did:

Their voice has gone out to the whole earth,
and their words to the ends of the world.

19 But I ask, “Did Israel not understand?” First, Moses said,

I will make you jealous
of those who are not a nation;
I will make you angry by a nation
that lacks understanding.

20 And Isaiah says boldly,

I was found
by those who were not looking for me;
I revealed myself
to those who were not asking for me.

21 But to Israel he says, All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and defiant people.

 

10:16

This is the lament of prophets and evangelists … and everyone who seeks to share the faith.

 

Isaiah 53:1 – Look at the larger context!

            Who is this chapter about?

            How does this apply to Romans 10?

 

10:17

So faith [is] from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

            The word of Christ is the instrument God uses to create faith.

 

Deuteronomy 6:4-7 - “Listen, Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”

 

Listening and hearing are important concepts in the Scriptures.

            Historically read out loud.

            God is a God who speaks – He is verbal.

 

Comments