A Funeral Psalm to Live By - Psalm 23:5

 

This Sunday, May 14 is the Sixth Sunday of Easter

Verse of the Season/Month:

Psalm 25:1-2, 4-5

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in you I trust;
    let me not be put to shame;
    let not my enemies exult over me.

Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
    teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are the God of my salvation;
    for you I wait all the day long.

This week’s sermon is Another Helper

This week’s readings are:

Acts 17:16-31

Psalm 66:8-20

1 Peter 3:13-22

John 14:15-21

Psalm 23:5

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

            Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

In our culture - Enemies? What enemies?

            Another participle - Enemies = “Those who are attacking me.”

            This is changing – mostly just vocal, but it is showing in attitudes.

                        Biblical values labeled bigotry.

                        Friends and family – especially after conversion.

In other parts of the world Christians know what it is to face opposition to the gospel and animosity toward the faith. Some even face danger.

If we ever find ourselves in a time and place where we are very aware of living in the presence of our enemies it is good to know that God is not at all bothered by the aggression of those who would attack is people. It’s not that he doesn’t care about our suffering. He is secure in His ability to protect us and defeat our enemies. He is so calm about the matter that He sets the table and feeds us.

            His food is life giving and faith sustaining.

            Lord’s Supper – This food defeats our enemies and delivers forgiveness, life and salvation!

            That leaves us in a place where we can feel secure! Fed by a shepherd with a rod and a staff!

            Also, this shepherd raises the dead. (Nik Ripken – The Insanity of God) Even death cannot touch you.

Pivot from protection enemies to some beautiful blessings.

You anoint my head with oil.

            A couple different images here.

                        One – sign of honor – Samuel anointed David to be king. Moses anointed Aaron to be the high priest.

                        Another – shepherds anointed their flock as part of their care and healing.

                        Protect rams butting

                        Heal cuts.

                        Nose flies – infused oil – like using citronella to keep mosquitos away.

                                    Devil is called Beelzebub – the lord of the flies.

                                    Protection from temptation

My cup overflows

            We are richly blessed

            Attitude of scarcity or abundance?

            Trusting God’s provision

                        An old lie – God is going to hold out on you. You better look out for yourself.

                        Truth – The kingdom of God is yours. You are blessed

                                     

Comments