A Funeral Psalm to Live By - Psalm 23:6

 

This Sunday, May 21 is the Seventh Sunday of Easter

Verse of the Season/Month:

Psalm 25:1-2, 4-5

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
O my God, in you I trust;
    let me not be put to shame;
    let not my enemies exult over me.

Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
    teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are the God of my salvation;
    for you I wait all the day long.

This week’s sermon is Guarded and Kept

This week’s readings are:

Acts 1:12-26

Psalm 68:1-10

1 Peter 4:12-19, 5:6-11

John 17:1-11

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. – Psalm 23:6

The message of Psalm 23 is so beautiful and comforting

-        Good Shepherd

o   Leads and protects through this life.

o   Leads and protects through death

o   Brings you into eternal life.

v. 6 begins with goodness and mercy

            Personifications of attributes of God

            God is good! (All the time!) – (Ps 25, 31, 34, 107, 119, 145 and elsewhere in scripture!)

            Mercy – chesed – faithfulness, lovingkindness, mercy, love

                        1 John 4:8 – God is love

            Grace

KJV translates “follow” but the word is actually “pursue!” – I find very comforting

    Jesus – leave the 99 to find the 1

    John Donne – Batter my heart …

    Michael Card – Recapture me!

    3rd Article of the Apostles’ Creed – the Holy Spirit

We will wander … and God pursues us with his love and grace!

 

Because God comes after us, “I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

            I will dwell – I will return – because we all like sheep have gone astray and are now returning to the shepherd and overseer of our souls.

            This word is also related to the concept of repentance – turning away from sin and turning to God in response to the new life he has given us.

House of the Lord

            Temple

            Church – Word and Sacraments

            Heaven – The New Creation where there is no more sickness, sorrow or death, there are no                     enemies, and there is no lack because we are at the eternal banquet.

I find this image of God as our shepherd to be comforting.

            He leads

            He tends

            He provides

            He pursues – Christ and the Holy Spirit

            Ultimately, he brings us home – one flock.

 

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you, Pastor for this series on Psalm 23; a refreshing reminder of God's continuing love and support as we live our lives; and his unending desire to save us to eternal life.
Wen Anderson