Things You Didn't Learn In Sunday School About ... Peter

            This Sunday, August 13, is the Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost.

            Verse of the Trinity Season:

            Psalm 18:2

            The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
    my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

This week’s sermon is: B.C. Heroes: Deborah

            This week's readings are :

            Job 38:4-18

            Psalm 18:1-6

            Rom. 10:5-17

            Matt. 14:22-33

Things You Didn’t Learn In Sunday School About … Peter.

Simon Peter. (a.k.a. Cephas) Fisherman. Apostle. Martyr.

Luke 5 – A Great catch of fish. “Go away from me, Lord, because I am a sinful man!”

Matthew 16 - His name was changed by Jesus to Peter. “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but my Father in heaven did. And I say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.” – the powers of the devil will not have power to overcome the church.

               Peter and the Papacy

John 18 – He betrayed Jesus three times.

               18:18 – by a charcoal fire

John 21 – Jesus reinstated him three times.

               After a great catch of fish.

21:9 – by a charcoal fire.

Feed my lambs. Shepherd my sheep. Feed my sheep.

Jesus predicts his death.

Acts – a key leader of the church – Pentecost, and the baptizing of Cornelius’s household (gentile)

               But a leader with feet of clay  - Galatians

1 & 2 Peter – an old apostle who feed Jesus’ lambs, shepherd his sheep, and fed those sheep as well.

Died in the mid-60’s AD

               Early church testimony – crucified – John 21 – “…when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands and someone else will tie you and carry you where you don’t want to go.”

               Tradition – crucified upside down – “Am I to have the honor of dying like my Lord?”

               Acts of Peter – Quo vadis? (Apocryphal)

What I find so compelling about Peter is that he was so obviously flawed. Yet, he stood on God’s grace, proclaimed Christ crucified and risen, and had such confidence in Jesus’ salvation that he even died for the faith.

               An example for us to live the faith in the same hope of Christ’s forgiveness and promises.  

Comments