Lutheran Worship - August 23, 2026



 Lutheran Worship

Adult Bible Class

August 23, 2026

Opening Prayer

 

Why We Preach

To preach is to proclaim, exclaim, cry out.

Preaching was central to Jesus’ ministry

-        Mark 1:35-38 - And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. 36 And Simon and those who were with him searched for him, 37 and they found him and said to him, “Everyone is looking for you.” 38 And he said to them, “Let us go on to the next towns, that I may preach there also, for that is why I came out.” 39 And he went throughout all Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and casting out demons.

-        Notice the context!

Preaching was central to the Apostles’ ministry

-        Mark 3:13-15a - And [Jesus] went up on the mountain and called to him those whom he desired, and they came to him. 14 And he appointed twelve (whom he also named apostles) so that they might be with him and he might send them out to preach 15 and have authority to cast out demons.

-        The Acts of the Apostles

Preaching presents God’s Word so people may believe in Jesus

-        John 20:30-31 - Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

-        Romans 10:14-17 - How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

This is what you Called me to do.

-        Supplement to the Diploma of Vocation – In the name of the Triune God and by His authority, in order that we might carry out His mission to the world, we hereby authorize and obligate you: To administer to us the Word of God in its full truth and purity as contained in the Sacred Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments and as set forth in the confessional writings of the Evangelical Lutheran Church as found in the Book of Concord; …

Purpose of Preaching

A sermon is different from a speech or motivational talk.

-        It’s not a TedTalk for believers.

-        See John 20:30-31 and Romans 10:14-17 above!

-        The goal of a sermon is faith and salvation.

-        The Word of God is THE Means of Grace

o   Baptism and the Lord’s Supper’s power are from God’s Word.

o   Absolution is a proclamation of God’s Word.

-        The Word of God instructs – See Psalm 119, and the many places the Psalmist says, “Teach me.”

-        The Word exhorts – that is, it encourages godly living and doing what is good and right.

In a sermon, the pastor’s hope and desire is that the Holy Spirit would create and strengthen faith in the hearers.

-        It is similar to the Sacraments in this way.

-        It is different than the Sacraments in that the sermon’s focus includes the Law as well as the Gospel.

Trained for Preaching

Preaching is more than being a good public speaker … but being a skilled speaker helps!

-        I have known people who couldn’t give a public speech to save their lives, but they could preach God’s Word with power and skill.

The art and science of preaching is called homiletics – from the Greek word for “conversational”

-        This is also where we get the word homily – which is often considered to be a short sermon.

There are different sermon strategies.

-        Goal-Malady-Means

-        Narrative Preaching

-        Stories

-        “Doing the Text”

There are even different strategies for the presentation.

-        Read a written script

-        Use an outline

-        Functional memorization

o   Mind Palace

Lutheran Preaching

Lutheran preaching has some distinctives –

-        Emphasis on the proper distinction between Law and Gospel.

o   A proper sermon must proclaim the Gospel.

o   It is not enough to talk about Jesus, or a Bible Story; it must proclaim God’s salvation for you.

o   There are different metaphors for that salvation we might employ – like justification, forgiveness, resurrection, atonement, etc. – but it must proclaim what God has done for us in Jesus’ death and resurrection.

o   “Christ for you.”

-        It is seasonal.

o   It follows the themes of the different seasons.

o   It is guided by the holy days of the Church Year.

-        It is pericopal (mostly).

o   While there are times we stray from the Lectionary, we tend to live in it.

o   Seasons like Lent and Advent give opportunities to preach apart from the Lectionary.

o   Occasions like weddings, funerals, and other significant occasions can be opportunities for thematic preaching.

-        It is Christocentric

o   A lot of preaching focuses on what the hearer should do (anthropocentric). This preaching tends to be Law-focused and is often moralistic.

o   There is also a strong trend for preaching to be cathartic or therapeutic. This preaching is often full of stories that touch the emotions and seek to get an affective response from the audience.

o   Preaching can (should?) contain all those things, but they have to find their purpose and meaning in the message of Christ crucified and risen for the hearer. This is the message that saves souls.

My Process

The Year

I try to take a long look across the years to try to preach on all the texts over time.

-        I got this idea from Eugene Peterson. He would preach on the Gospel for a season, the Epistle for a season, and the Old Testament for a season.

-        To try to vary by each time we have a lectionary season, as well. The last time we had Series B in 2022, I preached on the Old Testament readings. The time before, I preached on the Gospels. This year, I will preach on the Epistle readings.

See the chart on the next page. I lay out the year like this (Becka makes it look good).

I try to see if the texts give opportunities for short series of sermons that tie together – like when we have selected readings through a book of the Bible.

The Week

Each week I use the upcoming readings in my devotions.

-        Monday – I read all four texts, and listen to Lectionary Kickstart.

-        Tuesday – I read the Gospel Lesson

-        Wednesday – I read the First Lesson (usually from the Old Testament)

-        Thursday – I read the Second Lesson (usually from an Epistle)

-        Friday – I re-read the sermon text.

-        I incorporate the appointed Psalm and the Collect into my prayers, too.

These all inform the theme of the sermon and the worship service, and I am thinking about the sermon all week.

If all goes well, there will be additional study of the text on Wednesday.

-        Looking at the original language.

-        Considering the historical context.

-        Reading some commentary.

-        Starting some writing and or outlining.

The bulk of the writing happens on Friday. If I can, I like to get into the pulpit and practice it a couple times, too. (I will sometimes re-read the sermon on Saturday, too.)

I preach it on Sunday.

-        I make the sign of the cross on my head, mouth and heart as a prayer for God to work in my mind, mouth, and faith.

-        A sermon is not done until it is preached.

-        The sermon at early service is not the same as late. While they are largely the same, they feel different, have some different content, and can be re-ordered. 

Comments